Young Contemporaries 2019
35th Annual Student Juried Exhibition at Laband Art Gallery, LMU
Welcome to the first online submission experience for LMU’s Annual Student Juried Exhibition at the Laband Art Gallery. This annual exhibition celebrates artwork created by LMU students during the past year. Artwork entered will be judged and selected by two art-world professionals—this process is called jurying and it is a common selection process for artists. Jurors’ choices are not based on any set theme or criteria and artwork from all media is welcome: 2-D and 3-D design, ceramics, drawing, graphic arts, typography, illustration, multimedia, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture and performance.
Students are able to enter up to three distinct works, which are judged independently. Cash prizes will be awarded by the jurors. Some departmental scholarships will also be awarded to students who participate in the exhibition.
Who Can Submit:
Submissions are open to undergraduate students (freshman–senior) who have taken any art class at LMU during the 2018–2019 academic year.
How to Submit:
1. Application is done entirely online. There is no need to bring your art to the gallery unless you are chosen to exhibit the work.
Click the blue Register Button on the top right of the screen to begin.
2. Work entered does not need to be framed or matted at the time of submission. If work is accepted, the artist will have approximately 10 days to make it “ready for presentation.” (See #1 and 2 below in After You Submit).
3. If submitting 3-D works, such as ceramics or sculpture, images from multiple angles may be uploaded. Artists may also upload ‘detail’ shots to give jurors a better idea of the texture of a work. You can watch a quick tutorial on photographing artwork if you have never done it before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpj28da03JQ
4. Documentation of performance-based works can be submitted as still or video images. A detailed explanation must be included in the artwork description box.
5. Artworks needing special equipment (pedestal, projector, monitor, computer, ipad or any other special display system) should also be noted in the artwork description box.
Please consult with the Gallery Manager prior to submitting if you have questions.
When to Submit
1. Online Submissions will be open 24/7 for 4 months beginning November 25th
2. Submission Deadline: 5:00 pm March 25th 2019
After You Submit
1. The jurors will review all submissions and make their selections. Artists will receive notice via email if their work was juried into the exhibition. If selected, artwork will be requested to be delivered to the Laband by a specific date and time.
2. If your work is selected, you will need to get it “ready for presentation” for display on a wall, pedestal, monitor etc.
3. A “How To Get Your Artwork Ready for Presentation Workshop” will be offered on Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 11:30-1:00, in the TPK Student Gallery.
This workshop will be an opportunity to ask questions about how to prepare your artwork to be displayed in the exhibition.
4. Exhibition dates: April 25 to May 11, 2019.
5. There will be no insurance coverage for this exhibition. Neither the academic departments, nor the Laband Gallery nor CFA will be responsible for broken, damaged or missing work. However, the utmost care will be taken to prevent any such occurrences.
Thank you for following these instructions and submitting your artwork.
Best of luck from the Laband Art Gallery.
Questions? Please email Molly Corey, Gallery Manager, (firstname.lastname@example.org